Looks Can Be Deceiving...


Upon checking out from my hotel in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh one morning, they informed me that the telephone line was down, and hence I could not use my credit card. They would have to send a waiter along with me to collect the payment from the ATM.

Now this waiter was a Muslim, and judging by my beard that I was Muslim too, he asked me my name. And that was how the conversation started.

He told me that he worked the night shift at the hotel, and during the day he studied for High School exams. I was touched by the thought that a person who craved education was forced to work nights as a waiter at a hotel, and I felt a tinge of sadness for the poor state of our country. Education is a prized possession, but the priorities in our country are such that often what is worthy commands a lowly price. I felt pity for the poor soul sitting beside me. And I felt sad for the misguided system of ours that lets deserving people be disappointed.

I expressed my sympathy and told him that he should be patient and that one day he would do well. I don’t know if it was this unexpected sympathy or if he was bragging, but even as I was wandering on my train of thoughts, the man beside me confessed something that shattered my gullibility and to this day makes me roll on the floor laughing.

He confessed that he didn’t actually study to further his education. He had already passed High School! He studied, so he could take money to sit for exams as another person…

Comments

Midhun said…
Well, that makes education is a priced possession. lol

Popular posts from this blog

Dheet-Trekkers' Bike Trip to Bhutan

Ctulu dawn....

On Innovation, Or The Lack Thereof